New York Genealogy and History
New York Genealogy ...
and New York History ...
Under the Spotlights!
The First Congregational Church of Antwerp was organized in July, 1819, by Rev. Isaac Clinton, then principal of the academy at Lowville. The event took place in Copeland Hall, upon the site of the present Proctor House. The original members were William Randall, Percival Hawley, Edward Foster, Elijah Hoyt, Hosea Hough, Mrs. Hawley, Mrs. Foster, Mrs. Frances Eaton, and Mrs. Polly Copeland. It was agreed beforehand to employ either a Presbyterian or a Congregational minister, as might be most convenient, and to allow him to choose the polity of the organization.
Sprague’s Corners is the name given to a cluster of buildings lying partly in Antwerp and partly in St. Lawrence county, at a point nearly half a mile southeast from the Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburgh railroad, at Keene’s Station, which name is often applied to the village.
Settled by the Dutch in the seventeenth century, New Amsterdam became New York and a part of the British Empire in 1667. Many of these early Dutch settlers were members of the Reformed Dutch Church located in the city. Taken from existing church records, these manuscript are a collection of marriage records and includes information regarding over 2600 men and women. Researchers will find the date of marriage and the names of both bride and groom for persons married in the city between 1639 and 1695. Although these records appear in the original Dutch, this database can be valuable to researchers of ancestors from the New York City area.
On the southern bank of Indian river, about one mile above Antwerp bridge, is a cluster of buildings which, though hardly entitled to the appellation of village, is collectively known as Sterlingburgh, from James Sterling, who was its proprietor for many years. It...
This little village is located on the left bank of the Oswegatchie, at the southernmost point of the groat bend in that river. It lies due north of Antwerp village seven and one-half miles, and its communication with the latter place is over an excellent turnpike-road. Ox Bow, at the present time, contains a post-office, one hotel, four stores, one physician, one drugstore, one wagon-shop, three blacksmith-shops, one harness- and saddlery-shop, a good school-house, two churches, and about 300 inhabitants.
Ives Seminary, located in Antwerp village, is an outgrowth of two previously-existing educational enterprises, — the Antwerp Liberal Literary Institute and the Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary. The last-named institution was incorporated April 5, 1828, and was successfully conducted as a grammar-school until 1837, when it was placed under the patronage of the Black River conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, and became their conference seminary, with Rev. Jesse T. Peck as principal. It remained under the patronage of the Methodist Episcopal church until 1869, when, as the buildings and facilities had become inadequate to the needs of the institution, it was transferred to Antwerp.
Most public libraries now have websites and online catalogs that typically point to the most significant resources about the areas the libraries serve. Some of these libraries may have specific rooms dedicated to genealogical or historical research. Rarely is this...
Antwerp was erected a town on the 5th of April, 1810. Its territory — the same which is included in its present boundaries — was partitioned off from Le Ray. Its name was given in honor of the Antwerp company, who owned large tracts of land in this and in the...
Antwerp was incorporated a village, by order of the court of sessions, under the general act, in the year 1851 and the incorporation was ratified, by a vote of fifty-three to three, at a special meeting, held at Stowell & Taylor hotel, on the 30th of July in that...
It is doubtful whether the honor of having made the first settlement in the territory now forming the town of Antwerp belonged to Captain William Lee or to Peter Vrooman, for it appears evident that both settled during the same year, 1803, though both were then but...
New York Genealogy is being developed as a genealogical and historical resource for your personal use. While the original thought was to provide this website as a resource for finding genealogy and historical data concerning New York on the web, we have begun adding specific data to this site for your personal use.
In an attempt to further expand our offerings and refine your search, we have begun the creation of county websites. Those county sites can be found in the menu at the top of each page.
The “Search New York Genealogy” search on the right side will search all of the New York Genealogy website, but will not search the data linked to from our offsite data pages.
One of the most useful New York genealogical records is the type that deals with land, because, especially early in its history, New York was heavily involved with agriculture. One type of land record involves transfers from the colonial government to the first private owners. What follows is an index to the earliest years of the New York Land Grant Application Files from the New York Secretary of State’s Office. We have alphabetized this list to make it easy to find names, but we included the variable Record #, so that the original order of the data can be determined.
The East Hampton Library has placed online a treasure trove of original and unique genealogical data in the form of digitized account books of former residents of Long Island. They have placed these online as part of the Digital Long Island Collection. Most of these account books pertain to East Hampton and the area surrounding it on Long Island.
This is a list of early wills (1691-1703) occurring in a lost will book for Suffolk County New York – called the “Lester Will Book” after the family who had kept the manuscript in their personal possessions. Our list provides the testators name, date of will, date will was probated, along with the page number which you can use to reference the specific will in a freely available manuscript which contains a full extraction of the Lester Will Book.
One of the most exciting research items to become “available” to the general public on the Internet this year are the indices to New York City Marriage Applications, Affidavits, and Licenses for the years 1908-1929. Not just because they’re finally online in digital format for free, but because it’s the culmination of a years long battle taken on by Reclaim The Records.
730 (numbered) Articles written by David F. Lane about the old homes and the families who built and lived in them in the area of New York called “North Country”. These articles were published in the Watertown (NY) Daily Times, 1941-1956 in a series titled Old Mansions of the North Country (No. 1-87), Old Homes of the North Country (No. 91-99, 103), and Old Houses of the North Country. Placed online by the Genealogy Department of Roswell P. Flower Memorial Library, Watertown, NY. Predominantly these houses were located in Jefferson and St. Lawrence Counties, however, some were also located in Lewis, Oneida, Ontario, Orange, Ulster and Ontario Canada.
A large collection of church records for New York was commissioned by the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society and is known by the name of its editor, Royden Woodward Vosburgh. Its 101 volumes cover mostly Dutch, German-Lutheran, and Presbyterian records, but not all are indexed. Besides the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, these volumes are available at the Connecticut State Library and on microfilm at the New York Public Library, the Family History Library, and in other libraries. The information will provide you with a general idea of which churches are available and the years of the records transcribed. You can find the specifics for each church as to which type of records and specific years covered for those records at the Connecticut State Library online catalog or directly by clicking on any linked town. If the town is not yet linked then we have not gathered the specifics for that town yet but the Connecticut State Library has.
These records bring together a larger number of the ecclesiastical documents of the colonial period relating to New York and New Jersey than any other single collection. The original design of the enterprise was to gather the documents of the Reformed Dutch church as the oldest denomination in the State. But as the work progressed it seemed desirable to bring in collateral documents of other religious bodies, because the documents of one denomination throw light on those of other bodies of the same period, the external circumstances being identical. The different bodies were also often so intermingled in their relations or contentions that the history of one could not be well understood without dealing with the history of the others.
More than 500 volumes of original records of churches, associations, and state bodies have been placed in the American Baptist – Samuel Colgate Historical Library. These records were placed there voluntarily. Baptist polity does not have any mechanism to require a local congregation to deposit its records at this site or at any site. As a result, the records of many Baptist churches over the years have been lost. The original records deposited there are arranged alphabetically by state. Records of state bodies are placed first, then associational records. Local church records are placed next, alphabetically by city or town and name of church. The few international records which they hold are found at the end of this inventory. Their holdings include microfilmed and photo duplicated copies as well. This list is current as of 2015. These records are not available online. In order to access them you must visit the Samuel Colgate Historical Library!